Monday, June 29

Video Schlick.

There are some video clips I could watch a million times....
Here are my top 3:

1. LCD Sound System - Someone Great. Directed By Doug Aitken
Aitken's video clip for 'Somone Great' gently depicts love and affection without clouding an amazing song. Apart from the obvious physical acts of affection, the emotions of love are expressed though visuals that remind us of specific feelings. The first few seconds present a picturesque sunset, the flowing of the wind through the window, the soft diffused blur and touching of the sheets. This clip also reminded us of specific smells too for example the dusty records and the train station. I love the way Aitken has focused upon these experiences of touch and scent in order to achieve an emotional reaction.

Unfortunately, due to copyright i couldn't embed the film.
You can view it at Doug Aitkens site or Youtube


2. The Presets - This Boys in Love. Directed by Casper Balslev
Casper Balslev depicts a delicate side to The Presets, with the use of slow motion film, and amazing effects. I adore the magical feel created by use of smoke, water and sparkles/dust, creating gentle, magical scenes that oppose to the violent fighting scenes. I love his use of blur and vivid focus on detail such as sweat, skin and sparkles, all aiding in triumphing the music rather than distracting the viewer from it.

Unfortunately, due to copyright i couldn't embed the film.
You can view it at Casper Balslev's site and Youtube

3. Justice - DVNO


This clip for Justice's DVNO emphasises lyrics by presenting them in logo format. Every time I view this clip I discover something new, I love the 80's feel retrieved from the tacky commercial logotypes. I also enjoy how there is a sense of adventure and movement as the perspective is whizzing through and past words, continuously delving deeper into the film, for example how the ball bounces back to repeat words. This flows gracefully to an end with footage of the artists playing piano followed by a sheet of paper being thrown, transforming into a final logo representing a J for Justice!

I wish to know the director or artists behind this...if you are aware of who they are please report back to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who is Emmerge?

My photo
Melbourne, Australia
To understand is to lie.

Past always haunts.

Sheep